OUR HISTORY

A Little History About Our Church…

Lutheran Church of the Holy Spirit was the first church to be established in Elk Grove Village.  Reverend Martin Marty began outreach efforts in 1957 and services began at Rupley School. Then in 1958, the church building on Lions Drive was dedicated and has remained our church home for the last 60 years.

The church has served the Elk Grove Village and surrounding communities for many years by welcoming the use of our grounds for the Rotary Club Festival and the 4th of July Festival each year. It is always great to see so many playing catch, kids on the playground, and families spending time together at the events, as well as work with and honor the police, fire department, community staff, and volunteers.   

Every year we perform The Living Nativity: a special re-enactment of the first Christmas Eve that includes live animals, performers in costume, and live Christmas music. For more than twelve years our Living Nativity is performed on our front lawn in the evening and has become a memorable holiday tradition.

Packages4Patriots started in 2011. A newer and growing service project for everyone in the community to participate, LCHS hosts a monthly packing event to fill care packages for our military men & women serving overseas. Members of the church serve together with Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, and various volunteers wanting to make a difference and show support for our military.  Donations come from community organizations, individuals and businesses from Elk Grove Village and the surrounding area.  

Nancy’s Project supplies aloe plants to cancer patients undergoing radiation treatments at the AMITA Elk Grove Medical Center. We started growing plants in 2009 and today grow over 100 aloe plants in our church and member homes.  When they mature, we deliver them to the center who then distributes them to patients in order to help soothe their burns from radiation treatment.  
 

Recently in 2017, we renovated the interior of the sanctuary and part of the exterior of the church to help us continue serving the community. Come and worship with us and see the beautiful new sanctuary! Our congregation has had five Lead Pastors over the past 55 years and we will celebrate our 60th anniversary in November of 2018.  On July 1, 2018, Pastor Steve Okpisz officially became our 6th Lead Pastor and we look forward to him actively sharing hope and God’s blessings with the community for many years to come.